Just recently, the 64-year-old brother of one of my nearest neighbors died of colon cancer. This disease is one of the more curable types of cancer when it is detected early. Being that I am now in my fifties, my physician advised and referred me to a specialist to get a colonoscopy, primarily for the sake of early cancer detection and prevention. So Wednesday, I “prepped” for the procedure by going on a liquid diet and taking medication designed to cleanse out my intestines. That wasn’t so hot! Yesterday, I went down to have the procedure done. All those I encountered were very professional, efficient, and polite. I had an IV inserted, to which was added something to temporarily “knock me out”. A few minutes later, I was wide awake again, and the colonoscopy was finished. The doctor furnished pictures of various stages within my large intestine, and he gave me a clean bill of health! I strongly advise others to seek out this procedure for themselves as they enter their fifties. Their lives may eventually depend on it!
Having said the above, I also recognized that I have a good, inexpensive but comprehensive health insurance plan. Others don’t. And it’s this sort of preventative medicine that can bypass less fortunate people who need it just as much as I do. Without my insurance, this procedure would have been very expensive. This is another reason why I support an effective universal health care policy for my country.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment