Saturday, April 12, 2008

Mundane Matters on the Eights: 4/12

Back when I was a kid in the late sixties, I stopped playing out in my backyard for a few months (this was in 1968). And for the various reasons that can crop up in families, the maintenance of our backyard went by the wayside as well. One day, I decided that I would just step out there and throw the ball around, or maybe just see how many chin-ups I could do on the clothes-line pole out by the back fence. When I stepped out, the yard looked unfamiliar, with heavily grown-up grass and weeds coming up around my waist level. I felt like going back inside and putting on my father’s (a letter carrier) “jungle” hat to fully convey the sense of the environment. But out I bravely went, and actually enjoyed myself for a few minutes. Until I looked back at the house, that is. On the outside wall, about halfway between the back door and the dining room window, was a moth. Almost a foot long! Suddenly, I realized that I was in a very strange, primitive, wild place and began to carefully tiptoe back to the back door, so as not to disturb Mothra. I didn’t go back out again until a few weeks later, when my parents suddenly decided to tackle the back yard situation with a vengeance. The whole family worked together mowing, cutting, and carrying stuff to the front of the house. There had been a growing pile of brush by the back fence that had been accumulating for years. When we picked it up, we discovered it was full of cockroaches, which fled to tree branches above us as we worked! How creepy can you get, right? Well, when we reached the bottom of the pile, the roaches there were albinos! We did get the back yard looking really nice and used it a lot in the following years. I don’t think it ever got much out of hand after that, and I never saw Mothra again, either in my back yard or anywhere else.

I say all this, thinking that I have allowed too much junk to accumulate within my house (especially the garage). It’s really beginning to stifle my lifestyle, as well as that of my family. I feel the urge to embark on a great project reminiscent of the late-sixties yard clearing that my parents did. And while we’re at it, a few home improvements like repairs and new flooring seem to be in order as well!

This “mundane matters” project of mine, where I make a concerted effort to take care of ordinary things concerning me, just hasn’t taken off yet, sad to say. But I’m not giving up. My emphasis needs to be on habit transformation. But first things first. The house needs some extensive work.

No comments:

Post a Comment