Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Boston Marathon

I was able to watch some of this year's Boston Marathon on the Versus Channel on TV. On the men's side, Kenyan Robert Cherulyot won handily, while Dire Tune of Ethiopia won an extremely close race against Russia's Alevtina Biktimirova. All during the race, I kept hearing the announcers referring to the different cash prizes given to the participants who won, placed, or even set a Boston Marathon time record. So this race obviously had absolutely nothing to do with amateur athletics. And perhaps that's just as well, since the winners came from very poor backgrounds in very poor third world nations. The lofty Western notions of amateurism may seen pretty hollow for people in their situations. But these winners will no doubt compete this year as "amateurs" in the Summer Olympics, and that is where I have a bit of a problem with all this. After all, these professionals have a clear advantage over true amateurs, who have to support themselves and their families with their jobs and don't have the time and financial resources to devote to their sport as the pros do. But when the Olympics come, suddenly the pros aren't pros: they're amateurs for a couple of weeks!

During the race, I felt that motorcyclists and motorists often crowded out the runners themselves. It looked to me as if Biktimirova actually had to shift over once to get out of the way of a straying motorcyclist! Look, it's hard enough to run and finish a marathon, much less do it at a breakneck speed in frantic competition with others. They don't need fools crowding in on them, interfering with their sport! At the end of the race, on both the men and women's sides, I saw officials angrily yelling at friends who were congratulating the winners to get out of the way as well as manhandling the athletes themselves, grabbing and pushing them around to be in the "right" positions for post-race photographs and publicity events. I don't think that I would have been willing to put up with any of these self-important "suits" touching me, much less roughhandling me as they did the runners.

The race itself was an impressive demonstration of the capacity of people to excel under enormous stress. These are superb athletes. But I would not want to compete as an amateur against them in any race in which they would receive money just to compete in it (not that I would be remotely capable of keeping up them). But that is sadly the way things are in competitive running nowadays.

Several Gainesville-area runners competed in this year's Boston Marathon. Here are their finishing times, courtesy of the Gainesville Sun. Seeing how many finished in the 10,000th places and beyond, I wonder how many minutes transpired after the race started before these runners were even able to reach the starting line. And even afterwards, how long would it have taken before they were able to freely establish their own running paces? And yet, how many of them will probably cling to their final "times" as legitimate results? Seeing this, I think that it would be a great experience to run the Boston Marathon. But beyond actually finishing the race, I don't think I would get too hung up over my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment