Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Starbucks, Beer, and Lines

Well, it seems as if I have gotten something of a handle on my pollen allergies, for I am once again sitting outside of the Magnolia Parke Starbucks on a warm, clear, breezy afternoon. Starbucks has come out with a new brand of coffee they call “Pike Place”, but I can’t for the life of me distinguish it from any of the other regular drip coffees I get from them. I sometimes wonder why so many people go to Starbucks for coffee when they could just brew some at home, and then I answer myself: I DO brew coffee at home, too. But I just like a change of scenery, and to get myself out in public in a setting that is positive. And, by and large, the Starbucks Coffee Company does make having the customer feel well-served and comfortable a high priority. So I’m not really just buying coffee when I come here; I’m also buying the service, the pleasant environment, and a place to sit and write or read. But still, the money spent here can add up over time, even though I usually buy the drip coffee and avoid the espresso-machine drinks.

About four weeks ago, I came out here to this little shopping center to buy a coffee before work, just as I am doing at this writing. But the parking lot was packed, and there were people walking all about. Finally, I came upon a small field adjacent to the parking lot. And on it was a very, very long line of people waiting for something. At its head were some stands and tents. Well, I gave up on trying to find a parking spot, and I went on my way. It wasn’t until later that I found out that they were holding a beer-tasting “clinic” for the public that day! Which made me wonder why so many people will stand for long periods of time in extremely long lines for such a small payoff. These folks could just as easily gone to a store and chosen from a wide variety of beers, to drink at their own convenience. But then again, why do people camp out overnight on Thanksgiving, just to be the first ones to rush into the stores the next morning? Weird!

No comments:

Post a Comment