Sunday, September 2, 2007

Bicycling

When I was a kid, I was not a bicycle rider. We had one old bike in our utility room, which I sometimes practiced trying to ride in the back yard. But it wasn’t until I was seventeen that I actually purchased an inexpensive bicycle (all of the bikes I’ve had were very cheap) and began riding around. And for the next twenty-some odd years, I was hooked on riding bicycles.

Like I said, I never invested much money in bicycling, nor did I ever join a bicycling club. So, some others might say that I wasn’t “serious” about this hobby. But I saw bicycling as more than a fun activity: it was a totally legitimate form of transportation that I often used for going back and forth to work, school, shopping as well as for enjoying the outdoors. There is a certain take on life that one gets when riding slow enough for the surrounding scenery to imprint itself more deeply, both in terms of sight, sounds, and smells. A bicyclist has the opportunity not only to look around at things off from the road much more than a motorist: he or she can also stop “on a dime” and get off the bike to explore a suddenly interesting area that comes up. Or just walk the bicycle though (and park in) areas that no motor vehicles are allowed. Also, in the past I’ve enjoyed riding my bicycle past long lines of stationary traffic, whether due to rush hour conditions or for a University of Florida football game (or Gator Growl, their annual homecoming pep rally/show).

I am glad that my home town of Gainesville, Florida is a relatively bicycle-aware community that has invested a lot in make the town bicycle-friendly, especially with its bike-paths. But I’ve noticed during the past few years that we seem to be plagued with an increasing amount of aggressive motorists whose actions dramatically increase the danger of accidents to bicyclists. Distracted drivers, another increasingly disturbing phenomenon, often weave off the road and onto specially designated bicycle lanes. It can get a little scary these days riding along the side of the road on a two-wheeler!

For the past few years, I haven’t ridden my bicycle very much. Part of this is due to the exigencies of living, but part is also due to just getting out of the habit. Bicycling is a very good cardiovascular activity that can build up leg stamina as well, without exposing the legs and feet to the strains and potential injury that other higher impact activities like running carry with them. I’m thinking of getting my old bike out and riding around a bit (while being very wary of the local aggressive and distracted motorists). But although running can be a bit of a shock to the body, I’m continuing with that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment