Monday, September 3, 2007

Running on the Eights: 9/3

In July, I seemed to be making a lot of progress with my running, most of it on the treadmill. Still, I wanted to get outside and run on a course. But it was difficult adapting myself to the shock of the hard, stationary ground. On July 21, I ran two miles around a local running track, keeping to the grass on the straightaways, and I thought I did all right, until I got home, that is. Then, my right foot began to hurt a lot. Apparently, the hard jolting of my running tore some tissue connecting my right leg to my foot (around the front). I had to cease running until I felt comfortable to resume on August 18, this time strictly on the treadmill. I've since been more gradual in building up my distance on each run. My injury, I believe, was due not only to my diffuculty in adapting myself to running on the ground, but also to two other factors. One, I am a bit overweight, especially in terms of my optimum running weight. I'm going to have to lose about 25 pounds to get to my desired level (which I'm currently working on). Two, I was running on light running shoes with very little cushioning. Before resuming "ground" running, I need to purchase a pair of very comfortable, cushiony shoes. And avoid hard surfaces, running just on grass or dirt paths. Here is my running (and cross-trainer) record for the past eight weeks:

DATE DAY MILES TIME SURFACE
7-11--we---1.00---9:11 --asphalt
7-13--fr----3.11--26:55 --treadmill
7-15--su---0.67---6:00 --cross-trainer (level 10)
7-21--sa---2.00--19:11 --asphalt/grass
7-24--tu---0.65---6:00-- cross-trainer (level 10)
8-13--mo--0.71---6:00 --cross-trainer (level 10)
8-18--sa---0.25---2:00 --treadmill
8-21--tu---0.50---3:55 -----"
8-23--th---1.00---7:49 -----"
8-26--su---1.05---8:39 -----"
8-28--tu---1.05---8:27 -----"
8-30--th---1.05---8:21----- "
9-02--su---1.20---9:41----- "

No comments:

Post a Comment