This morning, amidst the high humidity and stifling heat, I got up and steadfastly took a painful walk/run around my .7-mile home block,doing very brief, slow jogging on the road back. It was difficult and punishing, doing this. I don't feel that I am making the degree of progress that I had wanted:maybe there's no improvement happeningat all! In fact, I feel like I am sliding. Simple motions are getting harder for me. I prefer to avoid outings that demand physical endurance, balance, and the strength required for me to adequately lift my feet and legs from the ground while maintaining a sense of functional balance. It's very discouraging when I just want to turn up the air conditioning and go back to bed and hide beneath the sheets...
Monday, June 8, 2026
Walking Progress Seems Absent, Even Reversing
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love walking through the rainforest here in this area they call the Wet Tropics. But, As I've gotten older I've gotten where I can only manage it during our cooler months when the low temperature gets down into the 60's. If we're lucky, that lasts for about 5 months before the heat and humidity sets in again. It's no wonder you can't keep pace with your previous exercise at this time of year. And truthfully, I can't even tolerate being outside in Gainesville during the summer months there. That's why I try to visit there during the fall months when it's a little cooler and the humidity drops a bit. In the meantime, I'm grateful for the wonders of air conditioning which we lacked when I was growing up in Ft Lauderdale. I just had a laugh thinking about one time in G'ville when I cranked up the air con, got myself all tucked up underneath a blanket and watched Dr Zhivago on my VHS player. Whatever works for you, do it!
ReplyDeleteI find i just have to flow through all my discouragement, waiting for s positive breakthrough without givin up on tryin.
ReplyDelete