After a poor night's sleep, I got up around five this morning and went, with Melissa driving, down to Depot Park just a few blocks south of dowtown Gainseville to attempt their weekly Parkrun 5k. Today it was warmer, in the sixties. The "race"...they try to say it isn't a competition...has quite a few people running and walking in it. The very first Parkrun I ran,in January 2019, had me finishing at 30:00, a speed barrier I wouldn't break until 2023. Yet, with the exception of my summer 2021 open heart surgery and slow recovery until late October, I could easily maintain a light running pace without feeling exhausted. That was true until early this year...now the simple act of jogging seems a bit too challenging to me. As a matter of fact, the prospect of performing one and only one lap through the park seems pretty daunting, with me eliminating quickly any notion of going any further. The people there this morning were very nice and friendly and, when i finished, Melissa praised me for my effforts and enouraged me heartily. As for my future with fitness walking and jogging, any progress I make in it will need to come gradually, and I should be patient and disciplined. Later I exercised at home and walked slowly around the back yard while the resistance burden dragged me down. I can barely cover two inner-perimeter laps before needing to stop. I felt a sense of regression at the park today, but I know that consistency is the best way to go...
Saturday, April 4, 2026
After Parkrun Experrence, I See Need for More Discipline & Consistency in Training
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment