On this last day in March, 2026, I have come to a conclusion about something standing in the way of my current efforts at progress in running and walking. And it directly concerns the weight of footwear, that is shoes, that I wear. I have often commented to Melissa that my difficult walking efforts, to me, usually seem like resistance training. Covering longer distances resembles trying to cram too many reps into a routine without a break, as if I were lifting weights. i also think that gaining around 50 pounds of bodyweight in less than a year has added to the difficulty with my walking and running. I am still making the daily effort to exercise, running in place, rocking back and forth on my feet while balancing with my arms, and walking for set distances. The progress, regrettably, has been painfully slow. I deeply want to be able to complete another Parkrun 5K, something that this Saturday I should already be capable of accomplishing. Well, other than my regular workout routines, the cumulative effect of my efforts hasn't led to much noticeable progress. Well, I'm going to stick with the program and give my body a chance for some substantial improvement in endurance and fitness....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
When I gain weight, I definitely notice a difference in my endurance workouts. But I tend to think of it more along the lines of...if you're 50lbs more than you were a year ago, now it's like you're walking while carrying 50 lbs of weights in a backpack, so of course it's not going to go so well. I also notice when I gain weight how much more difficult it is to bend my knees, so squatting down to tie my shoes becomes a real chore. So, all things considered, I'd say you're doing very well and I very much admire your perseverance with sticking to your program (and hoping that you are taking the time to occasionally stop and smell the roses).
ReplyDeleteAt my low weight, I was in the mid-130s. Now I weigh in at 182-184 lbs. Every step I walk it feels like I'm dragging a weight on my legs and feet...definitely likely serious resistance training. Thank you so much for your encouragement. My strategy is to make it simple: show up and follow through with something small, avoiding self-judgment.
ReplyDelete