Thursday, October 16, 2025

While I Follow the Major League Baseball Playoffs on TV

 During the last few days I've been following the Major League Baseball postseason playoffs. Teams will win and teams will lose...my main focus is how each game unwinds, from an inning-to-inning perspective as the pitchers try to throw pitches that the hitting side cannot swing around. Right now it looks like the Los Angeles Dodgers, with their cast of ace starting pitchers headlined by lefty Blake Snell, are on the doorsteps of the World Series as they are only a victory away from sweeping into elimination the Milwaukee Brewers.  Whenever a Dodger hitter manages to get a double and he's standing happy on second base, he'll go into a celebratory routine of waving his arms and hands over his head while lightly swaying his hips from side to side. The whole act seems kind of dorky to me, but it also looks cute and helps me to want to root for this team to succeed. invariably, during a game I'll find myself pulling for one side to prevail.  It's when they're in the field that I sometimes find myself frustrated if "my' pitcher finds himself incapable of keeping his pitches within the strike zone. It's that lack of pitching placement control that makes me want to change the channel.  My team will either win or lose...I have no stake in the outcome, material or not.  But I have little patience for a player who seems bent on forfeiting his chances that he obviously had trained long and hard to optimize. And batters at this elevated level seem to be more savvy about avoiding swinging at pitches that tend to curve out of the strike zone.  An effective pitcher will test the limits to which he can place his pitches without being called for a ball, and challenging the batter to hit a pitch within the strike zone is definitely on the table as a viable strategy. You don't just stand there on the mound and load up the bases...    

No comments:

Post a Comment