It looks as if, tomorrow morning around ten, Gainesville will once again be participating in the nationwide "no Kings" network of protest rallies. The one here will take place at Cora Roberson Park on SW 6th Street near Depot Park. I haven't yet decided whether to attend it. Instead of carrying signs and making speeches, I think the wiser strategy depends on me conscientiously attending and voting in every available election, picking the candidate (or policy) that resonates the most with my felt political leanings (Democratic or Republican). I've resolved to stick with the Democratic candidates available on the ballot, and although I deplore the general apathy and lack of participation on the part of the electorate, the results speak for themselves. If the Democrats do surprise everyone by taking back the House of Representatives and the US Senate in the 2026 November elections, I fully expect them to fail to take advantage of their victories when in power. No, most likely they will start hearings critical of the Republicans' actions during the first two years of Trump's second term as president and to initiate legislation packed into stimulus mega-bills costing untold billions of dollars. I don't watch FoxNews and don't plan to do so anytime soon. My political ways are set, and although I'll continue to assess and vote, I won't let myself get bent out of shape over election results...
Friday, October 17, 2025
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think that being a conscientious voter and taking care of yourself is an excellent way for you to have a voice. i have the benefit of being in good health and would be at the protest if I were there. But my thoughts for the future is rather cloudy at the moment, hopefully 2026 will give me some encouragement.
ReplyDelete