This morning, amid a warm 70 degrees and positively oppressive 97% humidity, I got up and headed down to West End Community Park where they hold their Saturday morning Parkrun 5K, always starting at 7:30. I had entertained the notion of running the whole event, but went back to my planned format: run first 3 minutes, speed-walk 3 minutes, run 7 minutes, walk 3 and so on to the end, which I stuck to. The conditions were indeed oppressively sticky-humid, but I had what it took to run hard to the end, finishing with a time of 33:21. You can view this Parkrun's results by clicking HERE. I adjusted my running regimen after it was established that I would be undergoing hormone and radiation therapy for the microscopic-level of residual prostate cancer in my body that was recently detected. The 7:3 run/walk ratio worked for today...under more favorable weather conditions I'm free to adjust the ratios. On the volunteer sign-up board there I signed up to serve as Tail Walker at West End next Saturday...can't wait! I'm happy with my effort on this difficult course this morning. I had actually been considering signing up and doing a half marathon in Ocala...that would have been unrealistic (and ugly). It's gratifying how different folks gather together like this, each one with his or her own reasons and expectations. I'd like this sort of friendly community in other settings as well: how about a mathematics community day or one revolving around learning to understand and speak foreign languages? Now on with the weekend...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment