This past Saturday morning (somebody) presented an educational meeting about the dangers of falling for seniors and ways to avoid them. Melissa arranged it for us...all I had to do was drive us down to the gym conference room where it was being held. We heard a nice talk describing the various situations that can put folks in danger of falling, and also participated in a test of our own individual susceptibility for falls. Melissa and I did well with the tests...since I tend to be a bit on the athletic side I figured I would. As people age, they tend to lose muscle mass and strength, especially regarding the "fast-twitch" muscles that can quickly straighten them out when they lose balance, averting fall situations. Also, bone density tends to lessen, creating the hazard of injuries from falling being compounded with broken bones. Sometimes I get down on the way the world is going, and it seems like people are getting meaner and meaner. But there's good stuff as well, and this mini-seminar is a useful example...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment