About a week ago I picked up a copy of the free local paper titled The Independent Florida Alligator, and opened it up to look for anything of use to me. This issue's called "new student edition", so since I'm pretty damned old in the grand scheme of things I guess they're not all that concerned about me...but that's all right. The contents were full of upbeat, encouraging articles aimed at helping students avoid burnout while offering suggestions on where they can hang out, eat, exercise, and so on. I enjoyed reading the opening article describing the recent politicized crap surrounding who gets to be University of Florida's president ever since our excuse for a governor, Ron Desantis, appointed Nebraska senator Ben Sasse to the post, only for him to suddenly resign one day, leaving many angry people in his wake. Then they brought back Kent Fuchs, who had served at the post for eight years, as interim president until they completed their search and confirmed a new one. University of Michigan president Santa Ono was picked, resigned his old post...and was ultimately rejected by the politically obsessed Florida Board of Governors, leaving Fuchs still in charge. He's retired now, and maybe UF doesn't really need a president anyway...what a pathetic joke this once-respected office has been degraded to. I enjoy the creative writing in the Alligator, and it tends to have a personal edge to it that I can relate to...kind of like blog articles. And of course I enjoy their little puzzle section toward the back, especially the "spot six differences" one. But would I ever shell out any money for the Alligator? No way...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment