Today is the first official day for Gainesville's second Parkrun, held at West End Park. I went there for a trial run last Sunday, but decided to go back to my traditional haunt, Depot Park (near downtown), this morning to do a 5K speed-walk. The temperature at 7:30 race time was 72 with 99% humidity...typical summertime muggy discomfort. The "regular" Parkrun leaders were over at the other place, as I'm assuming were several "Depot Park" runners and walkers. I had wanted to break 40 minutes with my finishing speed-walk time, and I tried to walk as fast as I could. But it was to no avail, with me finishing at 41:44...click HERE to view today's results. Next weekend I'm planning to be on a brief cruise with Melissa, and for the 26th I volunteered to be a "Tail Walker", i.e. the designated last person to finish the Parkrun. They encouraged us participants to meet up at the food court on NW 4th Avenue near 6th Street at 9, but I finished the walk hot and sweaty and was in my car driving back by 8:15...can't wait 45 minutes, at least today. I instead drove down to my nearby Dunkin' Donuts for a pistachio-flavored iced coffee, studied some foreign languages there and then wrote this article. I used my Alpha-Smart portable word processor, which is completely off-line and automatically saves my writing...running on AA batteries: really old-school! I don't think I'm going to make any substantial progress in walking or running faster until I regain control over my weight and eating patterns, which I know I will do. I can still cover the distance, but with each step I'm lugging twenty extra pounds of body weight from this time a year ago...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment