Saturday, June 7, 2025

Ran This Morning's Warm and Muggy Depot Parkrun 5K

This Saturday morning, anticipating an extraordinarily hot and humid Gainesville, I woke up with the intention of running the weekly Depot Parkrun 5K, but as a "summer work-out jog" or SWOJ.  True enough the temperature at 7:30 race time was 75 with a blistering-muggy 73% humidity.  Still, in spite of these discouraging conditions there were many park-runners in attendance.  The way I saw it, I knew I wasn't going to be setting any personal Parkrun bests today, but if I could maintain a reasonable pace I'd be happy walking away with a faster-than-thirty minutes finishing time.  And although my stomach had given me fits before the race...and I'm being euphemistic...I was ready at starting time, settling quickly into what I felt was a "groove" that I could stick with for the race's duration.  No, it wasn't pleasant and I was sweating profusely since early on.  But my endurance kicked in nicely and I finished with a time of 28:37, much better than my pre-race expectations.  You can click HERE to view today's results.  For the remainder of June, my plan is...unless I decide on a Saturday morning to sleep in and skip the Depot Parkrun (and that's always an option)...I will divide the three upcoming Satudays between one run, one speed-walk, and on the 28th tackle another US Road Running race at Westside Park...that one's likely to be another 10K...

No comments:

Post a Comment