So it looks as if the duly-elected president is determined to hold his grand, hyper-expensive (at taxpayers' expense) military celebration on Saturday, June 14...which "coincidentally" exactly coincides with his birthday. In response to this kind of egomaniacal display that one would normally expect from North Korea's puffy dictator, a nationwide counter-protest is being scheduled for the same day. In Gainesville there's a protest called "No Kings", endorsed by the Democratic Party, that's taking place Saturday morning from 9 to noon at Cora P. Roberson Park, 600 SW 6th Street. I pass by it most Saturday mornings on my way to the Depot Parkrun. Looks as if my little weekly race is in for some serious competition with parking this weekend, sad to say. But then again, I have shown up to vote against Trump every chance I could...four times...one of them after I deliberately changed my voter affiliation to Republican just to vote against him in 2024's Florida Primary. So I might just drop by Roberson Park to check out the scene...but I'm certainly NOT going to fill out and submit any sign-up forms that the websites promoting it provide: what's that all about unless they're planning to hit on me later? I expect die-hard, delusional Trump MAGA demonstrators to show up as well, and possibly some opportunistic left-wing agitators who might try to put on a media show in front of the cameras. I've never been at a demonstration meeting or protest, and I still remember (with contempt) Massachusetts senator Elizabeth Warren once calling these things "Democracy in action". No, Senator, democracy in action is getting off your ass on Election Day and voting! Nevertheless, attending a protest demonstration may be in the cards for me. I do know that the Internet and social media are full of lies and misdirection about both Trump and his former flunky Elon Musk. Apparently, the Republican's "Big, Beautiful" bill doesn't specifically grant the president election-canceling powers as I had earlier read, and Musk isn't...as was also erroneously reported...about to buy off ABC/Disney. Should be an interesting Saturday, this June 14th. Bottom line on all this protesting: Trump was indeed duly elected, and if it's anybody I should be demonstrating against it's the fools who put him back into office. Still, I'd like to observe what goes down this coming Saturday morning (after my run, of course)...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment