Slavery is bad. I'm glad it no longer exists in this country, at least not legally. In 2021, America began a new national holiday, practiced previously in some states and localities: Juneteenth. On June 19th, 1865, by order of the sitting president Andrew Johnson, the US Army proclaimed the end of slavery at Galveston, Texas, the final rebelling Confederate state to undergo military occupation. When Juneteenth was enacted, I had a new paid day off on my postal job...that was good. I heard some local people interviewed today on the news and a couple of them spoke as if they were themselves once slaves...one hinted that he was still in the struggle to not be a slave anymore. I recognize that injustice exists with many groups on many different levels...but let's not confuse that with slavery. Happy Juneteenth, a good celebration of the close of an evil human practice, at least in this country...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment