Sunday, May 18, 2025

Enjoy Watching PGA Championship and Preakness This Weekend

This weekend I enjoyed following two annual major American sporting events: the PGA Championship tournament and the Preakness Stakes.  The former is one of professional golf's four annual grand slam events...this year it was held at Charlotte, North Carolina.  And the latter is three-year-old thoroughbred horse racing's Second Jewel in their elite Triple Crown series, held at Pimlico race track in Baltimore, Maryland.  Not a regular follower of horse racing, I am one of those temporary fans who get interested only during special events.  A couple of weeks ago I successfully picked Sovereignty to win the Kentucky Derby (the First Jewel) and was looking forward to support him again for yesterday's Preakness.  But alas, as is often the case in recent years, the horse's trainer decided against entering him for the race.  That left heavy favorite Journalism, which I supported while also rooting for trainer Bob Baffert's entry, Goal Oriented.  Goal Oriented did well enough, finishing fourth, but the race's closing stretch run was very exciting, featuring Journalism breaking out of being tightly boxed in to chase down and just barely pass longshot Gosger at the finish.  With the PGA Championship, it was nice to see the world's "number one" golfer, Scottie Scheffler, return to last year's form and win it by six strokes.  I've tried to get myself interested in the basketball and hockey playoffs, but to no avail...the only other sport that attracts my viewing interest nowadays is tennis...  

No comments:

Post a Comment