Wednesday, April 16, 2025

Weekly Short Stories: 1999 Science Fiction, Part 10

Here we are again, with another week gone by as I delve further into the Gardner Dozois anthology The Year's Best Science Fiction, Seventeenth Annual Collection, featuring tales published in 1999.  The two short stories I'm discussing below go in two opposite directions, the first deep into the distant past and the second far ahead in the future.  But ultimately both deal in some fashion with the question of what is consciousness, and what forms can it take...  

BORDER GUARDS by Greg Egan
A "young" man wakes up out of his "death" to resume living among his peers in a manufactured world, thousands of years into the future (and in his own life).  He is essentially immortal, due to an invention from late in our own 21st century.  As he encounters a certain woman, he learns lessons about the value of life...and death as well.  This story bothered me in that it assumes that consciousness is completely independent of the brain and that a durable machine can serve as its replacement home.  Then again, I never accepted the "transporter" idea in Star Trek, either.  Sure, the individual materializing on the other end is a carbon copy of the original, but didn't that original person that got "beamed" disintegrate into death? 

SCHERZO WITH TYRANNOSAUR by Michael Swanwick
This is one of those annoying time travel stories that I thought writers like Robert Heinlein had pretty well written into the ground concerning all the potential paradoxes involved, particularly in traveling into the past. This "time" a business is thriving late in the Cretaceous period just a few thousand years from the meteor strike that would cause extinction to the dinosaurs.  One of the employees observes a raptor dinosaur show, resembling in a way Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park, but in this case it's the human tourists traveling back in time, not the dinosaurs transported to the present.  The paradoxical scenarios presented here keep accumulating until in the end the reader is tempted to just say to hell with it all.  Guess you might infer that I'm a bit skeptical about this sub-genre of science fiction...

Next week I'll see if I can't comment on further stories from the Dozois anthology covering the year 1999...

No comments:

Post a Comment