Sunday, April 27, 2025

Packaged Evening News Like Box Lunches

It's hard for me to take the televised news seriously anymore, beyond the barest of facts they present before being mercilessly spun out of recognition by people with no more qualification to do so than you or me.  In the midst of all the hyper-serious stuff being presented, it gets really bizarre when the announcer keeps teasing the viewing audience to stick around to the end of the show for a preview of the network's special upcoming show.  That happened recently on ABC Evening News with David Muir, as Muir kept referring, with a twinkle in his eyes, to the upcoming National Football League draft that would immediately follow the broadcast. As if this were such a special treat that went beyond my wildest expectations.  Please. I went to a church function last Saturday that offered a lunch break on the premises, complete with box lunches.  They were very thorough and meticulous with the various nutritional components.  There was a nice little chicken salad wrap, a little cup of seasoned pasta, a little fresh fruit cup...and each packaged meal was complete with a brownie for dessert. Because, after all, we just have to have everything at least a little bit sugar-coated, right?  Somehow, though, I think I'd rather the news be free of that embellishment.  I really don't need the distraction of a football draft, or even the human interest regular segment...ABC has its "America Strong" "good news" to close out its news broadcast.  It's as if we've sat at the table, eaten our salads and nutrition like good little girls and boys, and now need our sweet dessert reward...all carefully designed and packaged in a little box. I do like those prepared lunches, though.  What was it that Mary Poppins said?  Oh yes, a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.  I believe she sang that to little children, which seems to be the way that the news media treat us...

No comments:

Post a Comment