A few weeks ago, while surfing through YouTube in their section devoted to running, I "ran" across a couple of Canadian middle-age brothers who decided to tackle distance running and triathlons in order to get themselves fit after undergoing some health scares. They're really a couple of top-notch athletes, it turns out, and they have their own channel committed to their ongoing efforts and accomplishments. These two are, however, a bit insufferable with their self-promotion and putdowns of those they don't feel measure up to their standards...I felt early on that they held themselves to be on a higher plane of existence than me. That's okay, they have their thing and I mine...to each our own: I don't HAVE TO watch their videos. I cannot say the same regarding our recycled president and his musky wingman. It's clear that the convicted felon that my own country saw fit to return to office has, as a centerpiece of his strategy, the notion of keeping himself the focus of media attention EVERY DAY with some new outrage to say or someone to offend. Sadly, I think he's on to something...America is hopelessly hooked on reality television and celebrities: the more off-the-wall they are, the better. Some folks think that all they have to do is outlast this president and then things will return to normal, but I think the change is permanent. From now on future candidates, on both sides of the political divide, will apply the lessons in mass manipulation they're learning here to their respective campaigns. If you think it's bad now, wait 'til AI and quantum computing attain their full realization and seamlessly merge into our mass and social media, forever blurring the distinction between fact and fantasy. Hell, it's already happening. At least those Canadian brothers are real (I think). On the other hand, it seems to me that the American voter doesn't even care anymore what is real or not: they just care about how it all makes them feel...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment