Saturday, January 4, 2025

Ran Today's Cold (for Me) Depot Parkrun 5K

 I was attentive to the weather forecast for this morning, as they were predicting temperatures here in the Gainesville area to dip into the upper thirties by 7:30 race time for the weekly (free) Depot Parkrun 5K, held at that park just a few clocks south of downtown.  As it was, my phone app had it at 40 degrees with 56% humidity. The last couple of times I recently went out for a race when the temperature had dipped like this I didn't wear gloves...didn't make that mistake again.  No, I wore full-length pants and a jacket, the latter which I shed halfway through...no point in needless suffering, especially standing around shivering before the race.  Speaking of "before the race", during the announcements they asked if there were any out-of-town Parkrunners present, and wouldn't you know it, several from England and Canada raised their hands...all were dressed in short-sleeves and shorts like it was a warm spring morning instead of "freezing-ass cold" as I like to describe it.  I had been watching YouTube and saw a video advising runners to keep their cadence at around 170-180 steps/minute...I was experimenting around with this at the start of the run, only to later realize that when I am actually running at my usual faster clip toward the end I'm naturally maintaining that suggested cadence.  I started slow and finished fast, final time at 27:43...click HERE to view the results.  From here onward my participation in organized races is a bit uncertain as I have a medical video-conference Tuesday morning to discuss my diagnosis and future options after the prostate biopsy last month.  I intend to follow medical advice regarding my running and walking (and other activities), but if I'm still able to continue like I've been doing, then that's what I'll do...until they say otherwise... 

No comments:

Post a Comment