Saturday, December 21, 2024

Walked Gainesville's Depot Parkrun 5K This Chilly Morning

After a cold front passed through our area in northern Florida yesterday, the temperature plummeted to 38 degrees (76% humidity) on this Winter Solstice Saturday morning here in Gainesville.  I was ready for the weekly Depot Parkrun 5K, starting at 7:30, regardless.  You see, I had a recent prostate biopsy done and felt that doing an intense run might be a little bit too much too soon thereafter, so I instead stayed dressed up...complete with jacket...to do a speed-walk there.  Other than feeling that I should have worn gloves to protect my painfully cold hands during the race, I enjoyed it and...while not walking my fastest 5K...still managed to finish under 40 minutes again.  I didn't walk today trying to set a personal 5K walking record since, as mentioned before, I was recovering from that medical procedure.  But it would be nice if sometime in 2025 I could get my speed-walking pace down to a twelve-minute mile: it's possible but I'll need to work at it.  I'm glad to be inserting walking into my races: it's also more conducive than running to just immersing myself in the immediate surroundings, noticing many more sights and sounds than I would normally perceive were I only running instead. Not that I've given that up, though...just not today.  For today's results, click HERE...

No comments:

Post a Comment