Be the change you wish to see in the world. ---Mahandas Gandhi
Mahandas (or "Mahatma") Gandhi was the great twentieth-century lawyer who, with his pacifist creed of passive resistance, was instrumental in India's independence and had a lot of things to say about how best to live one's own life. That in itself doesn't qualify him for my "quote of the week" feature, but the above quote...Rob Dial recently referred to it on a podcast...resonates with me. In the first place, I can't exactly dictate to the world how I want it to be...well, maybe I can but I would be delusional if I thought it cared one bit. But seeing how much of human behavior is imitative, I do have the power and authority to demonstrate by my own actions what I would like to see from others. I believe that many of us are seekers, looking for examples in others to emulate and guide them through their daily existence. Why not be one of the examples? No, I'm no Gandhi, nor would I want to be, and I have a lot of stuff to work out in my own life and am far, far from any semblance of a perfect model. But I'm alive, here and now, and that gives me enough to change with...
No comments:
Post a Comment