As 2024 draws to a close, I look back in my life on both the good and the bad, the miraculous and the tragic. In May, Melissa had her breast cancer diagnosis and quick surgery to remove the malignant lump...this followed by chemotherapy (her body suffered a bad reaction to it) and then radiation therapy, ending this fall. By all measures, the cancer has been removed from her body, thank God. But after pulling up into our driveway on July 18th following the second round of that chemo, the police were there to notify us that our beloved 34 year old son Will had died. This would overshadow all of the good that 2024 had produced for us, and we're left with a big hole in our lives. He was (is) such a compassionate and responsible young man...what a terrible loss for us and the world he graced with his presence for too short a time span. Rebecca, my 29-year old daughter, lives in town and makes me proud with her commitment to her job as well as her close relationships with us and her partner. My own health seems to be going in opposite directions: in one direction I am gradually becoming fitter and more athletic while in the other I have just been diagnosed with localized prostate cancer, the treatment for which looms ahead of me in early 2025. I do feel blessed to be in such an environment where it can be effectively treated and I am confident of the successful outcome. And when I clocked out at 10 pm on Friday, November 29th, my retirement began after working for 37 years at the Gainesville Post Office. I'm grateful that I had the opportunity to work there and have many good memories of my colleagues as well as the work itself...I am no disgruntled postal worker! And I have enjoyed not having to deal with the traffic while driving to and from work since then. For 2024, Will's passing dwarfs everything else, but in life sometimes you have to take the bad with the good, and that can be difficult...
Sunday, December 29, 2024
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I read this first on Melissa’s FB post. I am deeply touched by your thoughts and perspective. Thank you. Cory. 🫶🙏
ReplyDeleteThank you, Cory, for your kind comment.
Delete