Saturday, October 12, 2024

My Depot Parkrun 5K Today

This morning at race time for the weekly, free Depot Parkrun 5K in Gainesville, it was 59 degrees with 84% humidity (dew point at 54 degrees), markedly cooler and more pleasant than in previous weeks.  I decided to run it again, now that my intended race, the 10K Tom Walker Preview on the Hawthorne Trail, had been cancelled...ostensibly due to Hurricane Milton, which only lightly touched upon this area.  Melissa accompanied me and walked some, as well as cheering me on.  The course was crowded, no doubt with some runners who like myself had planned on running in the other event...but also because the weather was so nice.  There was also another 5K race in the same park, scheduled to start at 8:30, an hour after the Parkrun.  So there were a lot of folks out there today, no problem.  I just ran my usual pace, pushing hard through to the end, and finished with my second best Parkrun time at 26:58...click HERE to view the posted race results.  On a side note, during this warm and muggy summer and early fall mornings at Depot Park I had noticed that the usual red-winged blackbird songs serenading us on the park's south side had disappeared...they were back in force today!  I guess my avian friends like the cooler temperatures as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment