Thursday, October 17, 2024

Doubling Down and Gaslighting

I'm sure that manipulative, controlling people have been around ever since, well, people have been around. But lately I've been hearing a lot of two different terms describing what seems to me to be essentially the same thing.  They are "doubling down" and "gaslighting". When someone espousing something false is confronted with the truth, hopefully...with the caveat that the truth-speaker is tactful...the recipient will receive the message and process it in a rational manner, perhaps changing their viewpoint if reason dictates or maintaining their position if that is called for.  But too often nowadays, I see folks take contradictory input as a personal attack on themselves, and their ego takes over as they even more vehemently reiterate their obviously flawed perspectives.  That's "doubling down" and is also indicative of "gaslighting", which is when someone tries to alter your perception of reality by preying upon your own fears and self-image, bringing whatever is discussed down to a contest for domination instead of truth-seeking.  Even if not precisely the same, I see the two tactics as being intimately interwoven, and I am becoming increasingly adept at noticing them when practiced on me...

No comments:

Post a Comment