In watching sports...and following them in general...I have become rather detached about which athlete or team I want to win. My tendency now is to follow the process and appreciate what is involved in whichever sport that happens to be before me. I've noticed that there is one aspect to it all that I have come to oppose, and that is the tedious, overdone commentary often accompanying the action. More and more, I mute the volume on my TV set and find that this doesn't detract in the least from my enjoyment of the sport. It's interesting that I have never played American tackle football (only the flag variant) or baseball (only the softball variant), yet I still enjoy watching others play them. With basketball, I played it a bit in my youth and likewise enjoy it as a spectator...the same goes for soccer. Ice hockey? Never played and don't like to watch it. With more individual-oriented sports like tennis and golf, I have played very little with the former and only the miniature version of the the latter...yet I have come to be a fan of the pro tournaments in both sports. Swimming I'm not good at but enjoy watching races. The sports I do engage in...running and speed-walking...I ironically don't like to watch, unless it's one of those virtual races on YouTube...
Tuesday, October 1, 2024
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment