Sunday, August 18, 2024

A Return Visit with Melissa to Local Planetarium to See Mesmerica

From my own records it had been several years since I'd paid a visit to the Kika Silva Plan Planetarium at Santa Fe College here in Gainesville, but Melissa bought a couple of tickets to their ongoing Saturday afternoon/evening presentation titled Mesmerica, created by and featuring percussionist James Hood.  The show we attended yesterday began at 6:15 but we got there about a half hour earlier to get good seating for this show, which was a series of computer-enhanced light and color patterns as well as a foray into exotic settings.  The idea of it all was to place the viewer into a state of relaxation and suggestion...sounds a little like auto-hypnosis, doesn't it?  We both enjoyed Mesmerica, but truth be told I've seen this sort of thing before and wasn't all that impressed.  There were three scenes there I especially liked in the 45-minute program, but I felt that it could have flowed a little more smoothly than it did.  So this wasn't a typical planetarium show explaining what was going on in the nighttime sky.  Yet director James Albury...who was there for the times that I (sometimes along with Melissa or Will) visited back in 2013, 2014 and 2018...is still in charge and it was a nice feeling to hear his enthusiasm and pick up on his friendly demeanor.  He did slip in that Mars and Jupiter are visible in the far east just before sunrise.  Being actually "of age", my senior discounts there nowadays are merited...unlike previous times years ago when they automatically assumed from appearance that I was an old geezer...

No comments:

Post a Comment