Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Popular Vote Winners in Last Eight Presidential Elections

Here are the popular vote winners in the American presidential elections since 1992.  Since we're supposedly a republic governed by the people's voice in democratic elections and a fair, unbiased system of laws, you might think that our policies and government would reflect the below trend...but you'd be wrong...

1992    DEMOCRAT
1996    DEMOCRAT
2000    DEMOCRAT
2004    REPUBLICAN
2008    DEMOCRAT
2012    DEMOCRAT
2016    DEMOCRAT
2020    DEMOCRAT

Now in 2024, do you think anyone really cares about what is going on in this campaign except within a small number of swing states like Wisconsin, Georgia, Michigan and Pennsylvania?  Because of our electoral college system, if you live in California, Texas, Florida or New York...our country's most populous states...no one cares about your opinion.  A losing president can call the chief elections officer of a state he closely lost and ask him to manufacture nonexistent votes to turn the results around, or the losing party can maneuver in states they lost...but legislatively control...to have those legislatures overturn those results.  Who cares what the rest of the country thinks, as long as they get their power.  Of course, as an individual my degree of influence is strictly limited, which is why I haven't been ranting and raving on this blog like others do on their social media outlets.  After all, we now have a Supreme Court that treats one side as its client interest: even if the doddering and incoherent incumbent nobody had a voice in choosing this year as the nominee wins those swing states, will they turn around and negate the results? Democracy is an illusion, both in Russia and now, sadly, here in America.  I have my own life, with the choices I can make that actually have effects on myself and my loved ones...electoral politics provide no hope in that regard...

3 comments:

  1. Quite sadly, I agree with everything you said here. All my adult life, as long as I've been old enough to vote, if I dared to address what I thought was an important issue about the way our country was headed I was told that if I didn't love my country (just the way it was) then I should leave it. Now, that's not the reason I left my country, but I do feel more comfortable living here and only go back each year to visit my family. And by the way, Laurie is here right now visiting me and says to tell you hello and that she hopes you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I feel as if the US population is in some kind of mind control experiment, to see how far a mass of people can be manipulated into believing nonsense they ingest from social and mass media...the results are in, and it doesn't look good. I'm more concerned about the easily-swayed masses than about the puppet masters above who pull the strings. And, hi Laurie, how's that retirement going for you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My retirement is going fine, thanks. Hope work is still working for you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete