Saturday, June 8, 2024

Walked the Depot Parkrun 5K Here in Gainesville This Morning

When I awoke earlier today I could easily tell it was going to be a very warm, muggy morning, and the figures confirmed this.  Approaching 7:30, the starting time for Gainesville's weekly Depot Parkrun 5K...held at the park bearing that name a little bit south of downtown...the temperature was 75 with a 100% humidity: we're talking a pretty unpleasant 75-degrees dew point.  So I decided to speed-walk the event, and as it turned out, that was a good decision.  I covered the 3.1-mile, four-lap distance in 38:49, nine seconds better than my previous best 5K walk last month.  But unlike that race, this time I was drenched in sweat from the excess heat and humidity.  I deliberately pushed myself to try to walk with as much exertion as when I run, and to some extent I succeeded in this.  Still, going by my progress on the treadmill at my local gym, I should be walking faster 5Ks, at least dipping into the 37-minute finishing time area.  It seems no matter how fast I think I'm walking for what is generally considered to be a respectable distance, I still have essentially the same level of energy at the end as I do at the start.  So I guess I'm going to have to push myself a little harder next time.  But I 'm still happy with my time under these weather conditions.  Gainesville's Depot Parkrun is a part of a worldwide network, originating in England, of Parkruns scattered across hundreds of communities.  Parkruns are free and volunteer-run.  You sign up online and they give you a barcode to print out and bring with you to scan at the close of each race for your results to be posted on their website.  Speaking of that, click HERE to view today's results...

No comments:

Post a Comment