As I stated in yesterday's article, I have been tailoring my back yard to accommodate more running and walking training in the nighttime hours as the summertime and its hot and humid conditions here in northern Florida wear on. I went out there right after sunset, with temperatures still in the 80s and humidity in the 60s and, using my ring-tally-counter, ran back and forth across the yard 150 laps to cover 5 miles, all while listening to an Amazon Music shuffle of songs by Led Zeppelin, one of my all-time favorite musical acts. The nature of the setup requires me to greatly decelerate as I approach each fence, and the turf itself is uneven with sloping that I have to maneuver through, so my pace is by necessity much slower than it would be on a continuous paved and even pathway. I finished last night's jaunt at 1:09:07, slow but I'm not concerned with the speed anyway, at least at this stage. For the first 2.8 miles I mixed running with walking at a 4:1 ratio while for the final 2.2 miles I simply ran. Although it was already nighttime and the brutal 100-degree late afternoon conditions had alleviated somewhat, my shirt and shorts were still completely drenched in perspiration at the end...yes, brutal is the fitting description of this summer so far, and it's technically not even summer yet! I'm optimistic about using my back yard in the future as a way to run at night...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment