Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Just Finished Reading Hidden Potential by Adam Grant

Hidden Potential: The Science of Achieving Greater Things is a self-help book by Adam Grant, published last year.  It's getting all kinds of rave reviews on the Internet, and I checked out an audio version from my library and just finished reading it.  I'm wondering whether I've reached my limit of what I can get from this genre of writing, not to mention feeling a little annoyed at Grant's frequent use of examples that conform to whatever narrative he's trying to convey.  Yes, don't be afraid to make mistakes...you can learn a lot more from them if you just accept that they're an integral part of education: I didn't need the Harlem high school chess team to point that out.  And yes, be persistent in pursuing your dreams: likewise, I didn't need the struggling major league knuckle-ball pitcher's saga to convince me of that.  Both of these ideas would have been better illustrated by more relevant examples, but Grant seems to think that winning the championship or being a publicly-recognized all-star is what it's all about.  For me, I have my own standards I want to attain and live up to...I'm really not all that concerned about what others think.  The author did bring up something interesting and innovative at the book's end, when he cited the use of "brainwriting" in place of brainstorming when working out problems in a team setting.  The latter tends to reward people who are the most verbally aggressive while discouraging others from speaking out from fear of reflection.  Instead, brainwriting involves the individuals anonymously writing out their own suggestions and then submitting them into the collective pool of ideas, through which the leaders sort and determine what might work and what probably won't.  But of course, Grant had to cite an example far from my (and probably your) personal experience: a disastrous mine collapse a few years ago in Chile, with the crisis centered around finding a way to rescue the 33 people trapped below the avalanche.  I think maybe I'll (at least for now) leave the self-help stuff to different posts I see on YouTube and instead focus my reading on fiction...

3 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of the self-help genre of books, probably because I'm pretty content with where and how I am doing in this life right now. I would find it interesting to read about how a group of people got together and figured out a way to rescue people trapped in a collapsed mine, but not as a learning tool for me to "achieve greater things".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I kind of got hooked on them and find it's a hard habit to break...maybe I can find a self-help book that helps me stop reading self-help books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made me laugh out loud with that comment. I would have typed one of those laughing emojis if I could have.

      Delete