In running, it doesn't matter whether you come in first, in the middle of the pack, or last. You can say, "I have finished.' There is a lot of satisfaction in that. Fred Lebow
I greatly enjoy checking out different channels I've subscribed to on YouTube...The Ageless Runner, hosted by "Ralph", who seems to be around my own age, is one of these. Today he posted his favorite running quotes, the above one by Fred Lebow, the founder of the New York City Marathon, was appropriately his first. Like me, Ralph and Fred are advocates for popularizing running...especially the long distance variety...among the general population. Ever since high school, I have enjoyed this activity, or sport...however you might want to term it...because it is basically something I can tailor for myself as an individual and don't need others to accept or validate me in it. I run races, to be sure, but not so much as against others in competition as much as against myself and my past performances...it lends a sense of structure and discipline to my running. Although it's difficult to enter, the New York City Marathon also embraces its founder's philosophy, as the race doesn't close down even for the slower runners...or walkers, for that matter. I run...and walk...to cover the distance, and like Fred's quote, how others do around me doesn't really add up to much of a difference. But for the competitive folk out there, you also have a right to set your own standards and priorities for yourselves. I'm just glad you're out there as well...
No comments:
Post a Comment