Tonight I had a bit of a chat with Gemini, the AI application offered by Google. For all practical purposes I've decided that this might well be the way to go with my foreign language reading, as I can have Gemini generate any number of various sentences in whatever target languages I want, based around any particular topic I want to bring up. I have a Rosetta Stone of Chinese, Russian, Spanish and English set up and ask Gemini to create, say, six sentences in them that have to do with my stated topic...I happened to pick "long distance running" as one. So, here was the response:
1) Chinese: 参加马拉松比赛是我的梦想之一。(cān jiā mǎ la sōng bǐsài shì wǒ de mèng xiǎng zhī yī)
Russian: Участие в марафоне - одна из моих мечт. (Uchastie v maratfone - odna iz moikh mechta.)
Spanish: Participar en un maratón es uno de mis sueños. (Participar en un maratón es uno de mis sueños.)
English: Running a marathon is one of my dreams.
2) Chinese: 长跑可以锻炼我的耐力。(cháng pǎo kěyǐ duànliàn wǒ de nài lì)
Russian: Бег на длинные дистанции может тренировать мою выносливость. (Beg na dlinnye distancii mozhet trenerovat' moyu vynostlivost'.)
Spanish: La carrera de larga distancia puede entrenar mi resistencia. (La carrera de larga distancia puede entrenar mi resistencia.)
English: Long distance running can train my endurance.
3) Chinese: 今天天气很好,适合长跑。(jīntiān tiānqì hěn hǎo, shìhé cháng pǎo)
Russian: Сегодня отличная погода для бега на длинные дистанции. (Segodnya otlichnaya pogoda dlya bega na dlinnye distancii.)
Spanish: Hoy hace buen tiempo para una carrera larga. (Hoy hace buen tiempo para una carrera larga.)
English: The weather is great today, perfect for a long run.
4) Chinese: 我正在训练参加半程马拉松比赛。(wǒ zhèngzài xùnliàn cānjiā bàn chéng mǎ la sōng bǐsài)
Russian: Я тренируюсь, чтобы принять участие в полумарафоне. (Ya treniruyus', chtoby prinyat' uchastie v polumarafone.)
Spanish: Estoy entrenando para participar en una media maratón. (Estoy entrenando para participar en una media maratón.)
English: I am training to participate in a half marathon.
5) Chinese: 我和朋友们经常一起周末去长跑。(wǒ hé péngyoumen jīngcháng yīqǐ wèimó qù cháng pǎo)
Russian: Я часто бегаю на длинные дистанции по выходным с друзьями. (Ya chasto begayu na dlinnye distancii po vykhodnym s druzyami.)
Spanish: A menudo salgo a correr largas distancias los fines de semana con mis amigos. (A menudo salgo a correr largas distancias los fines de semana con mis amigos.)
English: I often go for long runs with my friends on weekends.
6) Chinese: 我跑完步后感觉神清气爽。(wǒ pǎo wán bù hòu gǎnj覺 shén qīng qì shuǎng)
Russian: После бега я чувствую себя бодрым и энергичным. (Posle bega ya chuvstvuyu sebya bodrym i energeticznym.)
Spanish: Me siento renovado y con energía después de correr. (Me siento renovado y con energía después de correr.)
English: I feel refreshed and energized after a run.
The parenthesized sections following each sentence lay out their pronunciation...especially helpful with the Chinese characters! These AI algorithms hold the promise to help me make great strides in my language learning and are easy to access and use for practice. Also, they can quickly surpass the ability of ordinary search engines to explore the Internet for answers to problems I have about various topics. As someone admittedly possessing a phobia about form-filling and dealing with bureaucracies on just about any level, I find this possibility very hopeful...
No comments:
Post a Comment