Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Podcaster Suggests Some Solutions for Common Anxiety

A couple of days ago Rob Dial, on his Mindset Mentor personal development podcast, discussed a technique of dealing with common, run-of-the-mill anxiety sometimes experienced over the course of the day.  You know, the kind of blah-feeling you get, getting tense but without knowing why.  Dial suggests going through the acronym HALT to try to filter out what may be going on.  HALT stands for hungry, angry, lonely, and tired.  He suggests that the cause for feeling out of sorts may well be simply one of these four, and often it's just a matter of dealing with them and moving on. And I suppose he's right...up to a point.  If I find I haven't eaten for a while, then sure, maybe getting some food down could help.  On the other hand, folks can also find themselves in a constant state of stress-producing hunger just by constantly eating and keeping their insulin levels high. To "hunger" I might add "thirst", and for the kind of drink (like water) that hydrates. Likewise anger can be unquenchable as well...along with addressing one's own anger it might be a good idea to check up on one's own tendency to anger, and whether or not there's a bad habit here to deal with.  Regarding "lonely", for generally extroverted people I imagine that's true, but being introverted I find the opposite applies, that being around others too much can bring me some anxiety.  Finally, being tired can definitely weigh down on one's life, and getting enough quality sleep cannot be underestimated...as well as taking strategic rest breaks throughout the day if possible.  So yes, I like the HALT method of stopping to see if I am anxious because of the above reasons, but at the same time I think it all needs to be tailored to each individual...

No comments:

Post a Comment