This morning I set out on another five mile speed-walk through my north Gainesville subdivision and the adjacent one, the same course I did two weeks ago. This time around I started earlier, with cooler temperature (average 73) and very high humidity (97%). But with fast walking, as opposed to running...even slowly...the weather extremes don't seem to affect me that much, and it was perfectly fine this morning as I enjoyed deep shadows before the sun rose too high in the clear skies. I started out at about 7:00 and finished with a time of 1:09:05...relatively little perspiration or energy loss from the workout. My limitation with walking at a brisk (for me) pace isn't the distance or weather it seems, but rather my ability to attain a faster speed...even if only for a few seconds. I used heavier shoes on these road outings, and on the treadmill at my gym attain a faster pace (now I'm working on 5.6 mph, or 10:42/mile). I think if I can move more efficiently...like I see race walkers do...then I could become a pretty decent seniors athlete with walking. Today's experience still was rewarding for getting up and getting out there, although I admit to being a bit annoyed at several different neighbors along my route, parked along the road in front of their homes, who would open their car or pickup truck doors wide into the street and then just walk off. I wouldn't do that, if only for the sake of preserving my car door. Oh well, listening for the duration of my walk to an Amazon Music shuffle of songs by the excellent Canadian alternative rock band Metric helped to alleviate my frustration...you know, they're a very energizing group to exercise to and Emily Haines is one of the greatest singers around...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment