Sunday, June 16, 2024

A Couple of Notes About Running

This weekend I didn't get around to my long distance run/walk around the neighborhood...let's just say that "life" got in the way as it has a tendency to do. Even though I tend to be a creature of routine, it seems that outside forces have an unseen intelligence behind them bent on destroying my equilibrium and sense of progress with various things.  That being as it is, I still managed this evening after sundown to run in my backyard, with the temperature at 80 and the humidity a muggy 77%, for four miles...all to a mix of Moody Blues song thanks to Amazon Music Unlimited.  This time I didn't do any speed walking, but noticed that my overall pace tonight wasn't any faster than when I walked part of the way...I think that is at least partially due to my need to greatly decelerate and accelerate as I run from fence to fence. ..

The other day I signed up as a member of US Road Running, a group that holds races in different city parks across the country.  For the last couple of years I've seen their races listed in Ocala and Ocklawaha and had considered trying one of them out.  In those two places the distances offered range from 5K up to half-marathon and they're offered each month.  Now they've come to Gainesville, with the races taking place at Westside (Albert Massey) Park and consisting of 1 mile, 5K, 10K and 15K events.  It's held entirely within the park on a trail with a lot of there-and-back, and loops.  I'm looking forward to seeing what these races, scheduled on Saturday mornings late each month starting in July, are like...

No comments:

Post a Comment