Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Shortcomings in Digital Technology Skills Impair My Computer Use

I have had a Google Chromebook for the past few months...still a long way off from figuring out this supposedly simple device.  For example, I had just typed out several sentences introducing a completely different subject for today's blog article entry, but somehow the way I rested my hands on the keyboard caused the whole thing to erase...and without any means of undoing it!  I've also had issues with the word processing here and certain keyboard functions I'd normally consider standard, such as the absent "Capitals" key normally available anywhere else. Yet overall I'm pretty satisfied with it, since after all I'm a big user of Google applications, including this blog, YouTube, Google Search and Google Maps: they seem to be well integrated.  It's also true that I lag behind many others in my knowledge of how to maneuver around the computer...not an advisable shortcoming in this age of heavy dependency on digital information and the Internet.  I think my problems are probably more due to needing to improve my digital IQ than with the computer hardware or software.  Then again, something inside me says to not get too involved in it all and stay as long as possible on this side of reality.  That might explain why I feel a strange sense of relief whenever I sign out and shut off the computer.  And at least I managed to get this article out before inexplicably erasing it...  

1 comment:

  1. About once every three weeks or so, David and I do a Zoom meeting with our friends in England, a couple who we holiday with frequently. Last week as we were talking about US politics they told me that a 'thought bubble' with a thumbs up emoji showed up on the screen next to me. All 4 of us were stunned and figured that one of us must have been hacked and now somebody was monitoring our conversation. It really was a bit un-nerving. About 8 hours after our call I got an email from our friend telling me that he had found out that when you are on a Zoom call certain hand gestures will cause those thought bubbles to pop up on screen. I'm guessing that most people who use Zoom already know this, but it sure was a surprise to the four of us!

    ReplyDelete