Friday, May 17, 2024

Quote of the Week...from Pablo Picasso

I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.        ---Pablo Picasso

Of course, the famed artist with the above quote probably wouldn't have stepped off a mountain cliff in a hang-glider without first gaining a little bit of proper instruction on the subject, but that in no way contradicts his statement.  After all, he didn't say he was doing anything he couldn't do...Picasso's emphasis is the importance of stepping out and taking action on those things that do matter.  And yes, swirling around in the midst of a situation with new rules that require different skills from what one possesses is a good way to speedily pick up those skills...assuming that the necessary failures in the process can be overcome without dire results and that someone or some process is providing instructive feedback. For most of us, I imagine that the more common fear of humiliating failure, witnessed by others, keeps us from trying out a lot of new things...for me speaking in foreign languages, writing stories and doing podcasts are forefront on my list of endeavors that the co-founder of cubism would probably jump into with reckless abandon were he around today (and interested in doing those same things).  And I don't think he'd have any problem with impulsively just getting on a plane to somewhere new for a weekend adventure.  Sometimes many of us...myself included...tend to feel that we have to know all or most of the steps in detail in order to successfully accomplish something new when just going out and being an active participant, stumbling and falling, can be in the end more instructive.  Just make sure you have a soft landing, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment