Back in 2022 I ran the Florida Track Club's annual Micanopy ten-mile race...at the same time they offered a five-mile race option as well. Then it was unseasonably warm and muggy...it was slightly cooler this time around as I pulled into a parking spot there with the temperature at 54 degrees and the humidity around 90%...light clouds with no rain chance. Over the course of the 8:00 AM race, which consisted of a short stretch through "residential" Micanopy combined with a long loop of a hilly, rocky and slippery dirt path south of town, the heat rose along with the sun and made the run a bit arduous for me. Still, I felt in shape for it and although my left leg along the calf ached some toward the end, I never lost any energy, practically sprinting to the finish line at a time of 1 hour, 39 minutes, 18 seconds (9:55/mile pace). It was 9 minutes faster than my 2022 time, and since I had wanted to beat 1:40, I thought it was a very successful outcome for me. There was a moment toward the end when a ferocious looking, growling German Shepherd dog broke out and harassed me and two other runners...I just sweet-talked it and it left me alone. I continued my Galloway Method strategy of alternating running for 9 minutes with speed-walking 1 minute, that is until toward the end when I just walked up the hills. Second Wind Timing posts the race results...click HERE to view them. Other than the Depot Parkrun 5K events I often do, I'm not sure when I'm going to next run a relatively long distance race like this one. There's something going on in April in Hawthorne and in Ocala they regularly hold half-marathons, but I'll just have to wait and see...sometimes life gets in the way when I plan too far ahead...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment