On today's Mindset Mentor podcast, personal development coach Rob Dial discusses ADHD, or attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder. His position is that it isn't necessarily a disorder, but rather a different way some people's minds are constructed, more appropriately and neutrally referred to as a trait instead of a disorder He says that it is typified by three characteristics: inattention, distractibility, and hyperactivity. For each, Dial suggests a positive side. With inattention, typified by drifting away from what isn't interesting, there is often hyperfocus on what does attract interest. And with this arises an enhanced ability to creatively solve problems. With distractibility, Dial replaces the negative connotation with the more positive presence of higher curiosity, once again contributing to problem solving with a greater propensity to think outside the box. And finally, with regard to hyperactivity, our host refers to it as an ample supply of energy, perhaps directed in a way that others might not like. In concluding, Rob Dial urges people either diagnosed with ADHD, or who strongly feel this within themselves, to be more physically active, take on new challenges, and embrace and accept the ADHD. I was interested in this episode because a few years ago I took an online test to see if I had ADHD...if you scored 15 or higher out of a possible 20 you were advised to "run to a doctor"...I scored 17, and it explained much of what I have experienced throughout both my childhood and adult life, especially concerning how I handled school. I for one do not feel that kids so diagnosed (or adults for that matter) should be drugged to alleviate the so-called "symptoms" of this so-called "disorder"...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I really dislike what I consider to be the overuse of the word "disorder". Whether it is intended or not it immediately brings a negative connotation to the conversation. I think, however, that there ADHD brings a broad spectrum of traits which can affect some people to a more severe degree than others. I don't like the stigma that people put on the "disorder", but by the same token I don't think there should be a stigma put on those who find that medication is a useful tool for them in learning how to manage their symptoms. I would agree, though, that drugs shouldn't be the first knee-jerk reaction to an ADHD diagnosis.
ReplyDeleteAs far as what you say about medication is concerned, I totally agree...if we're talking about adults deciding for themselves. But using it to control children's behavior is another matter, and I have a problem with that...and I think it is indeed sometimes a knee-jerk reaction.
ReplyDelete