Saturday, January 20, 2024

Walked the Depot Parkrun 5K This Morning with Melissa

This cold Saturday morning, with temperatures approaching freezing at sunrise, Melissa and I again drove down to Gainesville's Depot Park to walk the 5K (3.1 miles) distance at the weekly Depot Parkrun.  It felt a lot colder to me than the half-marathon I ran in Hawthorne the previous Sunday, but Melissa seemed to handle it a lot better.  She set the pace for the four laps, showing a lot of energy and progress with her walking.  And she made her goal of breaking one hour, finishing with me at 57:26.  Unfortunately, since Parkruns don't use chip timing and instead depend on the timekeeping volunteer syncing with the token-dispensing volunteer to time the finishers, this time around they were off by a couple of runners and as a result posted our times as being a lot faster.  Maybe they'll remedy the mistake, maybe not...but in any event we shredded last week's time. Click HERE to view the posted results.  It was so cold that I kept my hands in my jacket pockets the entire walk, and when Melissa took off her sweater about halfway through, I wrapped it around me over my jacket and two shirts, still shivering underneath the layers.  Next week I'm signed up to run in the Newnan's Lake 15K race, which I've done three times in the past.  Melissa and I signed up as volunteers for the February 3rd Parkrun.  Hopefully in the next two weeks the weather will cooperate, but then again that's part of the random element that makes it all more interesting, sometimes chillingly so...

No comments:

Post a Comment