Friday, January 12, 2024

Quote of the Week...from Groucho Marx

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing.  If you can fake that, you've got it made.   ---Groucho Marx

The funniest, in my opinion, of the Marx Brothers comedy team, Groucho's string of one-liners rarely ceases to make me smile, if not break into uncontrolled laughter...the movie Duck Soup was his crowning achievement.  The above quote, although still funny, leads to a more serious point.  Humanity is by its very nature corrupt, and especially when people try to present an image of benevolence and virtue.  Non-profit organizations, religious institutions, labor unions...have I offended anybody yet...to me they are infected with people faking their good intentions.  To that, I have a complaint about a local running club, which has the gall to post its mission statement as "Our mission is to build the local running community and act as a network that supports runners of all ages and abilities" while at the same time placing an incredibly restrictive time limit on this Sunday's marathon event of theirs at five hours, excluding the very people they claim to support.  Any runner finishing as much as a minute beyond that will not be timed...but the good, benevolent folks behind the event will be happy to keep their entry money anyway.  But I'm misanthropically honest enough (and I'm not faking it) to realize that after putting together just about any group of people with a banner, cause and hierarchy of leadership, you're going to come out of it with lies and phony statements of purpose and beliefs.  Sounds kind of humorless, but no, it took someone like Groucho to make this point while making us laugh.  Okay, it's obvious that I have a beef about this race, but I did register for the half-marathon and will run it Sunday morning.  I'm still interested in a future attempt at covering a full marathon some time in the near future...the last (and only official) time was thirteen years ago.  I might just wait for an opportune weekend morning and run the exact same course while timing myself, just to see if I can do it within a reasonable time frame. As for that club, hey, they're all human and so am I, with all our respective faults. I'll just leave it at that...

No comments:

Post a Comment