Tuesday, January 2, 2024

My Reactions to Yesterday's College Football Playoff Semifinals

Yesterday I watched parts of the college football playoff semifinal games on TV...for some reason they decided to broadcast it on several different channels.  The first contest was the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California, pitting #1 seed Michigan against #4 Alabama, each led by established and successful prima donna coaches.  Before the game I thought 'Bama was the better team, but the Wolverines, especially their incredible, intelligent and aggressive defense, impressed me.  Unfortunately for them, they kept turning the ball over and thus had to come from behind to win an overtime game they should have prevailed in by at least a couple of touchdowns  In the nightcap action, it was Washington vs. Texas in New Orlean's Sugar Bowl...once again one team, namely the Huskies with their high-flying passing offense, should have won going away, but poor time management and questionable offensive calls during the closing minutes of the contest kept the struggling Longhorns in at until the very final play.  So it's Washington against Michigan, at Houston in the championship game.  I'm planning on watching at least some of it, but I don't really have a clear preference.  Sometimes when you watch highly competitive sports like this, it appears that neither side wants to win, what with all their mistakes.  Yet I think that's primarily a symptom of the intensity and skill of the opponents involved, with each side trying their hardest to force errors on the other.  I never bet on sports and always ultimately regard it as a form of entertainment, refusing...unlike in my younger years...to take any of it too seriously.  Still, I'm curious who will win the title, the game to air on Monday evening, January 8th...I plan to be at work, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment