I watched most of the NFL conference championship playoffs today, the winners going on to the Super Bowl, to be played on Sunday February 11th in Las Vegas, Nevada. The first game was the American Conference championship game between defending Super Bowl champs Kansas City Chiefs and the favored home team Baltimore Ravens, while the nightcap was the San Francisco 49ers hosting the upstart Detroit Lions for the National Conference title. Kansas City and San Fran prevailed 17-10 and 34-31, respectively...I felt the losers played strong but made too many mistakes. In particular, that Detroit coach has a problem with settling for field goals on stalled drives. So the Super Bowl is set and I'm pulling for KC with its State Farm Insurance and Head & Shoulders Shampoo connections. I will say one more thing: I'm sick and tired of watching the reactions of Taylor Swift, girlfriend of Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce and who attends his games. I actually tried to like her music and never could see what the big deal was...she seems more of a professional celebrity than a true artist, basking in idol worship from her adoring fans. And that Detroit coach...whew, I don't think I could root for this hyper-aggressive dude even if I lived in Motown...
Sunday, January 28, 2024
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Because we don't subscribe to any form of pay TV (no cable, no Netflix, no Fox Sports, etc) I don't have the opportunity to watch much American football, but they do air the playoff games on free-to-air TV so I was able to watch both games you are speaking of here. I have no knowledge of the Detroit coach whatsoever but i was so taken with Detroit's home-grown DE #97 Aidan Hutchinson after the end of the Lions v Bucs game that I was really hoping to see them go to the Superbowl. What struck me was how after the final whistle sounded and all the players were whooping it up on the field, Aidan just stood there looking at the crowd in the stands and soaking it all in. I noticed the same thing as the Lions took the field just prior to last Sunday's kick-off, he was again standing silently looking up and seemed to really appreciate where he was and what he was about to be doing. David and I will be watching the Superbowl live (which means 9:00am Monday, Feb 12th for us) which has become an annual event for us. It's the only time of the year that we fix ourselves some hotdogs and potato chips and enjoy them during halftime. I don't really care who wins as I don't follow the game until the playoffs start, but I hope it's a nice, close game which is always exciting. In reality, I'll probably cheer for whoever is losing, I can't seem to help myself when it comes to that.
ReplyDeleteSan Francisco seemed to be the consensus favorite to be one of the Super Bowl teams and Kansas City seems to peak each year during playoff time, replacing New England as the "team to beat". I'll enjoy watching the game as well, although I'm often baffled as to why the officials will call pass interference on one play and completely ignore obvious interference on another. I kind of wish that with all the technology available, TV would give differing ongoing views of the game, not just who happens to have the ball...maybe defensive ends like Aidan Hutchinson might be better appreciated for their contributions.
ReplyDeleteMy thoughts on Taylor Swift. I'm not actually sure I've ever heard one of her songs, but I can't help but know who she is since she is so often somehow in a news clip. But I don't discount her artistic ability, perhaps not as a singer/songwriter, but as an entertainer. She seems to be a bigger version of Kylie Minogue, who may not have ever been a big hit in the US, but has been a top of the charts phenomenon in the UK for decades. I never thought her songs were much but she apparently puts on quite a show. There are singers whom I have really liked, yet I find their shows to be somewhat lacking (Bob Dylan comes to mind). There have been others who, while not putting on spectacular shows, seem to have an incredible stage presence and are able to really captivate an audience (Harry Chapin R.I.P.). Then are those who can do both... Tina Turner and the Rolling Stones comes to mind. I understand that Taylor Swift has always maintained a closeness with her fans and I suspect that is what has given her such a strong connection with them. I think it's a very mixed bag that can create a huge following and if she can make people forget the world for a few hours and enjoy her shows then more power to her. Maybe someday I'll even take the time to watch one of her videos.
ReplyDeleteI think Taylor has a lot of charisma, especially on those Capital One TV commercials. I guess what I'm saying is that she seems to have a knack for generating fan loyalty that doesn't necessarily correspond to her music, at least what I've heard of hers so far. Maybe I should just listen through all her albums on YouTube...there's got to be at least a few songs that stick with me.
ReplyDelete