When I speed-walked my first 5K (3.1 miles) back in May, I had originally planned to try for at least one walking race per month. But then I underwent some back issues, followed by a Covid diagnosis...the momentum for this ebbed. This month I decided to return to my idea and made my way down to Gainesville's pretty Depot Park this morning to walk their weekly, free and volunteer-driven 5K...it's my 30th race there since I started in 2019. The temperature at race time was 56 with the humidity at 90%...not important factors. Just as in May, I felt a little weird sticking to a fast walk at the start of the race when all these others were running past me. But I maintained my speed and at the end beat my May finishing time by nearly three minutes: 42:20. Afterwards I wasn't the least bit tired or winded, and so I went on an "extra" 2.3 mile run in the park's vicinity, including a stretch of the Hawthorne Trail. I like walking fast like this and have already incorporated it both into my gym workout (treadmill speed-walking on Wednesdays) and my racing Galloway Method of alternating running with walking...with me the latter is always at a quick pace. Speaking of the gym, I've been a member of Gainesville Health and Fitness for more than ten years, and finally last night I got around to using their wonderful 75 ft. indoor lap pool. I managed to swim one length doing the American crawl while floating and paddling backwards on the return lap...good start, but I have a long way to go. I've never been a very agile or fast swimmer, but I think I'll use Friday evenings as my "swim night" and see how far I can go with it. As for today's Depot Parkrun results, you can see them by clicking HERE...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment