This month I finally got around to doing something I had intended for a long time: add swimming to my regimen of exercise. My local gym, of which I have been a member for more than eleven years, has an excellent pool for swimming laps...it's almost inexcusable that I have neglected using it for so long. But then is then and now is now...for the past two Fridays after work (my official shift ends at 10 PM), I have "taken the plunge", so to speak, and started my laps (25 yards, not the 50-meter Olympic standard). My swimming form is atrocious, but as I make this more of a habit I'm hoping that practice (along with watching YouTube videos) will make me more effective...my upper body strength and endurance definitely lags far behind that for my running and walking. Speaking of them, I ran a 15K race in December as well as two 5Ks, employing the Galloway run/walk method in all events to achieve faster finishes than in recent years. I also speed-walked a 5K, the second time I've done that. We're blessed here in Gainesville to be a part of the international Parkrun movement, with our Depot Parkrun 5K event, free and volunteer-run, a regular Saturday morning staple since 2018...I've run or walked it 30 times since 2019 and volunteered 3...probably need to help out again soon. I've run (and, naturally, walked) on every day of December, anticipating more of the same tomorrow as the year closes. I've tried for the most part to get to the gym after work, using the treadmill for running and speed-walking practice. Speaking of the transition from 2023 to 2024, I thought that for tomorrow's article I would just throw out some ideas about where I might be heading with my running, walking and swimming...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment