Foo Fighters creator, songwriter and front man Dave Grohl, formally the drummer for the grunge rock trio Nirvana, wrote his autobiography The Storyteller, published in 2021. I just finished reading the audio version, narrated by Grohl himself. He recounts his childhood, largely praising his supportive mother while castigating his negative father...I guess he had to get his "digs" in. Grohl made the point throughout this book that he pretty much led a bold, sometimes wild life, while pursuing his passion of music with extreme dedication and self-discipline. He very strongly emphasizes the importance of both family and friends, while completely omitting any reference to Nirvana front man Kurt Cobain's widow Courtney Love, with whom Grohl has had a very long, contentious feud over a number of issues. I like reading recounts like this one, in which the author for the most part assumes responsibility for his own life, while at the same time expressing gratitude for those who had helped him along his way. I mentioned the other day, in connection with this book, that for so many successful musicians, they learned their instruments on their own, not with formal lessons but rather through extensive practice. They listened repeatedly to their favorite artists' recordings and imitated them, developing a strong musical sense by listening and discerning patterns while training their dexterity on their chosen instruments. I thought Dave Grohl's life story was compelling and interesting, and although I generally preferred his former band Nirvana to the Foo Fighters, I admire his perseverance and do number some of the latter's songs among my favorites, among them I'll Stick Around, Everlong, Headwires and, my "top song" from 2014, Something from Nothing...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment